Quilting, Farming, Variety

Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Dishcloth Britches

Several years ago, someone gave a pair of dishcloth britches to my daughter. I looked them over pretty well and figured out how to make them. No, it's not my original idea; I don't know who to give credit to for designing them, but I will try to explain how to make them.
Materials needed: 2 dishcloths (waffle weave is easiest to work with)
yarn scraps or small ribbon scraps (I found that yarn ravels easily)
a needle with a large eye (a needle threader helps too)
scissors
Fold the two dishcloths in half lengthwise
Run a piece of the yarn around the top to form the top of the britches, connecting the two dishcloths at the back.
Draw up slightly and tie the ends in front to make a bow.
Also run the yarn around each bottom to form the legs;
again draw up yarn and tie into bows.
Join the two dishcloths in the center with three bows, and you have britches.
Make one more bow and use it to tack on a little note which has this message:
I'm not so poor
Nor do I have riches
But I thought you'd like
This pair of britches.
Happy Days to you
and Best Wishes;
This will help you
Do your dishes.
Just untie the bows
And pull the stitches;
You will have two dishcloths,
But you lost your britches!

These make a cute addition to a shower gift or could be used as a hostess gift.
Smiles, Charlotte

13 comments:

  1. I received a pair of these cute britches as a gift! Love the red and white that you chose and love the poem, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just found your blog and it is wonderful. What a clever idea to present "Discloth Britches" as a gift to someone. This would be wonderful to give for a household shower. I love this idea.

    ReplyDelete
  3. lol How Fun. I love gifts like this. It reminds me of a dishcloth baby set that my Aunt used to make to give at showers. (Unfortunately Mine mysteriously disappeared...)
    Thanks for figuring out the way to make the britches and sharing it with us. This is so fun. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this idea Charlotte! I'll have to buy some dishcloths and practice.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very cute...I'm sure going to make a pair...I have two new dish clothes just like the ones you used except the color is blue...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have seen these at art shows occasionally. You did a wonderful job! So cute!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Whew! Glad I read through this (found you through E.C.) because when I saw the title, I thought you were supposed to wear these. I pictured how I would look in them, and nearly went screaming from the room. Now that I know what this is really about, I love the idea. Very clever and very cute.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love these
    and wished I sewed
    and could do something like this
    They are so cute...
    You are smart.
    Have a good evening.
    Taking a break from posting
    so much.
    Not feeling the greatest...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my goodness, Charlotte~ this is the cutest thing ever!! I have an elderly lady at church who is always making cute little things for me~ I just may have to make her a pair of "britches". *hehe*

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've actually received some of these precious dishcloth britches!

    Cute! Cute!! Cute!!!

    God bless ya sweetie and have a delightful day!!! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Absolutely adorable, what a darling idea and I love the colors you used.

    ReplyDelete