Tuesday, January 10, 2017

How Do You Know It's January? (A repost, but true)

That's a silly question, isn't it!  Of course we know!  With deep snow, cold north winds, short days and long nights, we couldn't miss it.  Heavy coats, warm soups and toasty air coming from heaters, quilts piled high on the beds, and good books for reading, all sure signs that "the weather outside is frightful."

But sometimes I feel like if I was shut away in a room with no windows, only a television set, I'd still know it was winter.  Have you ever noticed the onslaught of television ads for diet products when the new year begins?  Wow!  if I used their products or followed their plans, I could lose weight and strut my stuff in front of the whole nation!  And how about the Publishing Clearing House prize?  All that money!  Why I'd never have to set foot in the chicken house again.  There'd be money to use on all the sales of 60%-70% off all those things looked over by Christmas shoppers.  Maybe I'd choose a new car at a reduced end-of-the-year price, or maybe a mattress!

And last, but certainly not least, I would know it was January whenever I saw that terrible looking creature, called a cold, chasing the horrified woman down the busy street!  Just another sign.

Now for me, January means I've gotta work a jigsaw puzzle or two.  When the Christmas decorations go, out come the puzzles.  So, for the last week, while we don't have chickens, and the housework is finished, I've pretty much hibernated and stayed bent over this:


The Quilting Table

I know not everyone enjoys  puzzles; I find it very relaxing and it's better than watching most TV programs.

Stay warm!
Charlotte


10 comments:

  1. I agree with you on TV that it is so hard to find anything good to watch and then the TV adds seem to take up more time than the program you are watching. I think puzzles are a great way to spend your time. Especially when the puzzles contain quilts. I tell myself that quilts are like puzzles...you just have to start with one piece and then slowly add one by one and you will end up with a completed project. Hope you are having a good start to the New Year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never made a quilt. I have sat under the quilt frame and listened to my Great Grandma, Grandma, Mother and a couple neighbor women chat as they stitched the quilt--that was fun. I could be blindfolded and stuck in a closet and still know it was winter. There are certain sounds associated with each season. Growing up on a farm, we become much more aware of the weather and the sounds associated with it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do watch local news for weather, nothing else.
    I clean and organize drawer, papers on desk and try to read
    look through the windows at bird feeders to see if anything new at the feeders and dream of seeing the first flower
    popping up out of the soil. I do not like winter :)
    So good to see you sharing
    Take care
    Stay Well

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a pretty puzzle! You have me chuckling.........I love your thoughts on January! I love the new look of your blog! Keep enjoying your much deserved time away from chickens and television!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree 100%. There's so many things that repeat every January. I'm with you on the PCH. Wouldn't that be a grand thing to win. Love your puzzle. I really enjoy puzzles, they have their own sort of mesmerizing charm to help pass time during the winter.
    You have a delightful way of looking at the world. You're a peach. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's great you enjoy working puzzles. Yes, winter is here, but it sure look forward to spring. Stay warm!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree to all of the above and you are not alone with the jigsaw puzzles. We love them too and enjoy it so much. Stay warm and take care and enjoy. Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful puzzle. We used to do puzzles in the winter, the kids enjoyed them too. We'd use puzzle glue on the back and hang them in their rooms. I have to admit, I'm not very good at them, but the hubs he loves them and enjoys the challenge. I can do the edging....ha ha! I know it's winter, the cold gets in my bones. I can't complain we've had a mild winter. (it's actually 70 degrees today!) It is good to stay home and leave the world behind, I enjoy that.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I had wondered if you were working your annual jigsaw puzzle. The quilt puzzle is oh-so-you...beautiful! The past couple of days have felt more like March than January...warm and windy! If this continues we may soon be putting aside winter projects for some spring gardening! :~) I love your header picture; something like I envisioned for my backyard when I hung the bird feeder...not happening. It seems our birds don't care for sunflower seed! :~(

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the way your header looks on your blog! We used to do jigsaw puzzles when the children lived at home. I still love to do them, but rarely get one out. Enjoy your time away from work and chickens!

    ReplyDelete