Quilting, Farming, Variety

Wednesday, July 9, 2014

July ~ Hope Chest

Wow!  Here we are, beginning the second half of 2014!  It seems only yesterday all the talk on blog posts was about wishing for spring.  Summer brings on more outside chores here on the farm, so the hope chest addition for July had to be simple and quick, but it's still useful.

So, let's add a set of colorful, watermelon place mats, with the green rind, the tempting red deliciousness, and the black seeds!  Perfect for a summer table!

I don't care for watermelon at this stage in my life, but as a child I could eat my share.

The farm where I grew up was mostly up one hill, across a flat field, and up another hill.  We only had a few cows which grazed on the hills and the flat fields were fenced and planted in watermelons, cucumbers, strawberries, and sorghum cane.

Having an abundance of fresh melons made them wonderful morning and afternoon snacks for my cousin and me.  Since we had no electricity for a refrigerator, a few melons were rolled under the bed to cool.   All we had to do was pick the size of melon we wanted.  There was no need to ask for a knife to cut the melon; simply pick it up and drop it about 10-12 inches from the ground and when it hit, the rind burst, revealing the delicious red "heart" of the melon, the part without seeds.  And there was no need to ask for a spoon; just pick of a chunk with dirty little fingers and enjoy.  What was left over went to the chickens and I usually made a run for the outhouse!

Ahh ~ those were the days!  Oh to be so carefree and innocent again!

Charlotte

20 comments:

  1. I love these . they're so beautiful. I love your memories as well. I remember those days and we couldn't wait for them to get ripe. Hugs, xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Susie; isn't it strange how simple things can stir up memories?

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thanks, Ernestine! Weren't we lucky little girls!

      Delete
  3. Aw, Charlotte, this evokes wonderful memories for me also. Loved raiding the watermelon patch thinking we were getting away with something. :)

    Those are beautiful place mats.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sally, I remember teenage boys raiding watermelon patches, eating what they wanted and leaving the rest in the field as evidence. :)

      Delete
  4. I really like those watermelon placemats! So Summery! I like watermelon but seem to have a hard time getting a good one up here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Rebecca. Yes, I can imagine a shipped melon would no be as good as one fresh from the patch.

      Delete
  5. I love the place mats and watermelons!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love your new Hope Chest project. The place mats are fun; and yes we do love having watermelon every summer!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The place mats are delicious! Your story reminds me of those fun summer days, climbing the peach tree for a taste of heaven, watermelon cooling in the creek and home made ice cream!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your watermelons place-mats are so pretty. They'd be a jolly addition to any table.
    I enjoyed your mighty sweet memories of watermelons very much.
    Have a great weekend. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I agree with Sherri. The place mats are delicious. These are just too perfect for you and the farmer...imagine a nice afternoon snack served on these.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your watermelon memories made me smile. When I was very young, we had a large watermelon in our garden and we watched it get bigger each day, begging our father to cut it. He would say.........one more day of growing.......well one day, the neighbor's cows broke loose and stampeded our garden and one cow put her hoof right in the middle of our melon! Although they paid for the damages......it did not make us feel better without watermelon. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  11. Such pretty place mats! I have already told you my cow hoof in the melon story above.........however, I still love watermelon!

    ReplyDelete
  12. These place mats are so cute, Charlotte! I love them. Watermelon is one of my favorite fruits too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a nice July quick project! I love the idea of what your doing. Just wish I could do it!! Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  14. Adorable and I loved reading your story. Happy summer.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Nice hope chest addition and sweet memories to go with it!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thank you so much for finding me and for signing up to follow my blog! I really do appreciate it...and I'm loving your blog. Farming is the life isn't it?

    Linda
    http://coloradofarmlife.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete