Quilting, Farming, Variety

Friday, November 28, 2014

November Hope Chest Addition ~ finally

A ripple afghan goes into the hope chest in November.  I think the ripple is the easiest of all patterns.  It would make an excellent choice for a beginner; if one can count to two, three, and eleven she has it made.

This afghan has a story with it: I bought this as a kit and gave it to my daughter.  She was too busy to commit to crocheting it, so I bought it back from her so she could get something else in its place.  So, as confusing as this sounds, I actually bought it twice!

Fannie seems to be enjoying the warmth of the afghan.  In these pictures it is folded into quarters, and although it isn't a big afghan, it makes a good cover for the toes when thrown over the foot of the bed at night.

Next year I don't think I will commit to making a project each month.  I'm getting so much slower with my farm work and that takes away from my sewing, etc.  Also, it seems the Farmer needs help with so many things.  Sometimes I may go to the sewing machine, stitch three or four inches, and I hear him coming down the hallway.  When he gets to my door with a solemn face, I ask, "What do you want?" and he may say, "There's a cow getting ready to have a calf; I think we need to get her up."  I unplug the machine and iron, turn off the lamp and leave things until another spare time.

Charlotte


20 comments:

  1. That's such a beautiful afghan. I really like it. Oh yes, I got it that you bought it twice; that's happened around here a time or two. You and your husband have such busy lives, I know it must feel good to have some time to yourself for your many hobbies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it's nice to have a day to sew; sorta glad when the Farmer goes to town. :)

      Delete
  2. I am not sure I could correctly count to two, three, and eleven. :-( I can imagine crocheting this pattern would be quite relaxing on these long winter evenings. Love your work ♥♥♥ and am looking forward to your last hope chest addition!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are a good farmer's wife. I know what you mean about slowing down. I am fining it harder and harder to finish a project! I also help the hubby when he needs it, he's slowing down too. Love the afghan.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You give me such wonderful reminders of life on the farm. Have you ever had baby lambs sitting in a box on the furnace floor register, or the open door of the oven to keep them warm when they come too early in spring? That was always my favorite.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Judy, we've never had lambs, but we kept a baby calf in the furnace room one night and returned it to the mother the next day. We weren't sure she would take it but she did. It seems the babies always want to come when the weather gets bad!

      Delete
  5. The afghan is lovely, but I thought that pattern was hard to do. Maybe its just me that had a hard time! I think I'll stick to fabric. You inspire me to start making items for my granddaughters hope chests. Can't wait to start!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have four granddaughters but I'm not sure any of them want these things; they're just for my pleasure of making them I guess.

      Delete
  6. That is a lovely afghan. I've made quite a few of them. Another easy one to do is a granny square until you get it as large as you want it. I'm working on g.s. lapghans off and on.

    Have happy holidays, enjoying life there on your farm.

    FlowerLady

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love your afghan. I enjoy this pattern too. I would think your grand-daughters would love all the things you have made. Happy you do them because you enjoy it. It is nice that you help your hubby on the farm. I too always spend time with my hubby when he needs a helping hand. I know he would do it for me too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I made a dozen of these years ago
    in different colors for children and friends.
    Now have forgotten how :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I enjoy your monthly projects but understand when other things call we must respond. Wishing you Happy Days!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the pretty afghan! I think it would be hard to commit to a project every month and my goodness!........you are so busy! Have a wonderful week!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This afghan is so pretty, Charlotte! It looks cozy and warm. I hope you have a great week ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful Afghan. You've given me many ideas on starting my own hope chest someday. I enjoy all of your beautiful creations. I love to sew but can't crochet a lick. Thank you for sharing your creations with us. Hugs, xo

    ReplyDelete
  13. Charlotte, you are doing so much better than me, with the projects. I have several quilting projects that have been in the UFO box for years! Currently I'm trying to finish a small wall hanging that I decided was perfect to give to my great-granddaughter, but I've had to put it aside what with all this eye surgery. She's only two years old, there will be lots of time to give her this keepsake. She'll get a doll from me this Christmas that I'm sure she'd rather have than a wallhanging, at her age. Heh!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This afghan is splendid. I love the pattern and the colors. How beautiful! You are such a talented person. My mama used to make afghans. I love them.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Very pretty afghan! Congratulations on getting it finished. Funny story about buying it twice! I love the photo of the eagle!

    ReplyDelete