Wednesday, April 1, 2015

Something We Do Just for Fun

A few weeks ago, I heard this story on the news:  A man was telling about a pair of golden slippers  his aunt had, and when she died they were left to him and his sisters.  They began a little something fun with the slippers; I think he called it "passing them off".  In other words, one person might have the slippers in his/her possession and pass them off to another person as a surprise.

This was interesting to me, since my daughters and I have done the same thing for years with a doll's head.  One daughter lives in a house, well over 100 years old, and finds little things buried in the dirt of the yard and garden.  One thing she found was this doll's head:


We named him Shelby (who knows why?).  Time has not been good to him, for he's stained and has one ear missing, but he's brought many a smile and much laughter to us.  He is usually kept in one persons possession until the rest of us forget who has him, and then one day he gets "passed off" to an unsuspecting person.  For instance, one daughter put him in with a dozen eggs she took to her sister.  The last person to get him was me; he came tucked inside a small box in the package with Isabelle.  Of course it's always more fun to discover him when others are watching for the surprised look on the face of the one he's "passed off" to.

I can't help wondering what kind of body he had and was he a special dolly to some little girl.  Now he's waiting in a drawer until the perfect time for me to "pass him off".  Hmm-m who could find him next?

Charlotte


10 comments:

  1. What a delightful fun thing to do! He was a very cute little imp in his day,

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds like a lot of fun! When someone least expects it--haha!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What fun it would be to give this little fellow a new body (and ear) and dress him up. He would be so happy, and the "one he's passed off to" would be so surprised. He has become a symbol of family...love and happy times!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That sounds like so much fun. I've never thought of doing something like that. Hugs and Happy Easter. xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. My parents and their neighbors did the same thing back in the 70s! They played bridge and there was a "booby prize" which was a hideous golden colored fly. You lifted the hinged wings and it was an ash tray- back in the day when everyone was smoking. After awhile it just became something to hide in the house you were visiting. I had it as a memento for awhile. It reminds me, I should see if we still have it. Your post was fun!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I didn't remember where Shelby came from! It does make you wonder what kind of doll he was - I can't picture him ever being anything except what he is, a head with a missing ear....

    ReplyDelete
  7. I didn't remember where Shelby came from! It does make you wonder what kind of doll he was - I can't picture him ever being anything except what he is, a head with a missing ear....

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've never heard of that but what fun it is! I can see that it always brings laughter and smiles to all.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I bet you have lots of funny stories regarding Shelby. My sister does something similar with an old friend of hers. I'm sure your daughter finds lots of interesting artifacts in her old house.

    ReplyDelete