Tuesday, May 19, 2015

Do you ever start a project and then change your mind about what you want to do with it?  This is what happened to these blocks.


I made several of these, with the intentions of making an Irish Chain quilt top, but when I laid them out to preview the results, I didn't like them used that way.  They were put away, because, although on a scale of 1 to 10 I am a 10 in the taking apart category, I had no desire to undo these blocks.  So later the full colored blocks were paired with appliqued blocks and turned into this baby quilt.  I did take apart a few blocks to use as borders around the appliqued blocks.


Now I have taken the other blocks and set them together with appliqued Overall Andy blocks for another baby quilt top.










The animal blocks were hand appliqued, but I decided to try my hand at machine applique.  I'm not the best at this; I'd give myself a grade of C or B- at the most.  Larger pieces would have been easier to learn on.  I compare the bottoms of the pants legs to jeans legs which are too long and mom says, "I don't want to cut them off and hem them up; just wear them off."  Now and then there's a stray thread at the turning point.

Whatever, it's a good feeling to know the orphaned blocks now have a good use.

Charlotte

(For Ernestine ~ The wind and rain were not kind to them)
 

22 comments:

  1. I love everything you do, Charlotte. So much talent; amazing really.

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your little quilts. Some baby is going to look so sweet wrapped up in them!


    ReplyDelete
  3. Change my mind? lol :-) You have worked with needle, thread, and cloth so much that you almost seem to personify it..."orphaned blocks." Well, these little orphans certainly should be happy in their new life. Wonderful quilts...both beautiful and useful. Your applique, hand and machine, looks more like A+ work to me! Just wondering, do I see some wonderful old prints mixed into these blocks?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Chip Butter. There are some reproduction prints I purchased as fat quarters a few years ago. They've popped up in just about everything I've made since then. :)

      Delete
  4. Envious of your poppies
    see none from seeds you sent :)
    Maybe they will still arrive.
    Thank you again..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was afraid of that; I don't have much luck with sowing the seeds but they self-sow best. If they did come up you could easily mistake them for grass until the second leaves begin to appear.

      Delete
  5. I love the quilts. I have a large applique butterfly quilt project that is unfinished. I started to applique the butterflies by machine, but wasn't happy with the way they looked, so I put it aside & just haven't gotten back to it. Machine applique just isn't that easy, especially corners!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your butterflies would look great done by hand in the blanket stitch. I started these by hand but the fusible web was too strong and I had trouble taking stitches.

      Delete
  6. I think we all have projects that we start and something about it doesn't jive, so we put it away. And then INSPIRATION hits us and Voila!, a whole new direction and a beautiful finished project. I, too, thought I spotted some vintage fabrics. Adorable quilts that will bring smiles to whoever receives them.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Charlotte, I love both of these! These are so cute. You did a wonderful job, I think. :) And happy birthday to your daughter!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love both of them. you surely have the talent for putting anything together... I'm so glad the rains have let up. Hugs to you sweet friend. xo

    ReplyDelete
  9. Turned into a darling baby quilt! And yes I have changed my mind after starting something too. Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh! I haven't seen these. How cute they turned out to be!!! That was a great way to re-purpose those blocks and the results are perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love love your quilts. Your characters and critters blocks quilts would bring a smile and sweet dreams to anyone lucky enough to sleep under them.
    Your poppies are so pretty and bright.
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yes, I will start something in embroidery and then make it totally different. LOL Your plan change looks wonderful! That quilt is so colorful and cheery! Hope the weather cooperates for your hay and crops!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am always changing my mind! You certainly put those blocks to good use. I love both of the quilts you made from them!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am the same way! The quilt is so pretty and vibrant!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your project turned out very well. I love this quilt. You were really creative to put those blocks to good use. I hope the weather is good for your farming.

    ReplyDelete
  16. These quilts are adorable! I'm glad you found a use for the quilt blocks.

    ReplyDelete