Quilting, Farming, Variety

Sunday, September 13, 2015

More Flower Gardens ~ A Top and Blocks

One of the first quilts I made and quilted was a flower garden quilt.  It wasn't the best in the world, but not tacky either.  The top below is one that I made a few years back, using brown instead of the typical green.  If green was to represent grass, I suppose brown represents dirt?  Anyway, it's a huge top; will it even go on my frames without the outside border being removed?  Someday I'll try it.  I sew rows of hexagons on the machine, then put them into blocks by hand, so it isn't too difficult.  I find English paper piecing to be too time consuming for me.







I don't think early quilters had access to many solids and prints so as to pair them up into matching colors.  The blocks I remember came later when we saved solids to go with prints left from making clothing.  Now it seems the more mismatched colors and prints can be, the better, making the blocks look like vintage ones.

These 30 blocks were given to me by the farmer's great aunt.  She had started piecing them on the machine and some seams were barely 1/8" wide, too small to hold securely, so I took them apart and sewed them back together by hand.  The white/beige fabric is unbleached domestic (what we call today, unbleached muslin) and somewhat stiff to work with; I sorta dread quilting it by hand.  I hope to get the blocks set together into a top this winter.

The blocks are joined with a rose colored broadcloth

I'm beginning to think that pressing these blocks, after being packed into a box for years, will be the most difficult thing about making the top.  I always try to press my blocks as I make each seam; things fit better and make for a neater top to put on the frames.  I sincerely believe a neat top, stretched correctly on the frames, makes a finished quilt more pleasing to the eyes.

Charlotte



15 comments:

  1. I think the Grandmothers Flower Garden Quilts are one of my favorites. I love to stitch them together by hand. You will soon have quite a good collection! I love the one your mother made and the one you made; hope you can get the third one put together as you wish this Winter. They are all fantastic. Ironing them as you stitch does help. It will be less than easy for you to have to iron all the little seams from your husbands great aunts quilt top pieces. Good luck Charlotte. I have enjoyed seeing your quilts in progress.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a beautiful quilt, Charlotte. I love this pattern. I have a crocheted afghan that my mother made for me that follows the same design as this quilt pattern. It will always be a favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this pattern so much. I always press mine as well, it makes it so much easier. Those are treasures and I know you'll be able to put them together.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the brown in this quilt....beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Green grass, and blooming flowers come out of the dirt. Your quilt is pretty. Wishing you well with this new quilt you're working on.

    Have a great week ~ FlowerLady

    ReplyDelete
  6. Pretty quilt! And good luck with the other one. I have cut pieces for a double wedding ring quilt, that my mother in law had started. I don't know if I will ever get it finished. The pieces are cut from a variety of different types of material and are hard to sew together. I really need to do it, though, no matter what it turns out to look like. (I'm not the best quilter in the world :o)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your flower garden quilt...just lovely on the bed! Great Aunt would be so pleased that you are finishing her quilt. It will be a beautiful "vintage" quilt! I brought home a box of flower garden pieces that Mother had cut out, but couldn't find them this morning. I know I gave one box to my daughter, but thought I had another! :~/

    ReplyDelete
  8. So pretty and so much work! I started a flower garden and plan to finish it, someday! Flower garden is a beautiful pattern and you can use a mix of fabrics.

    ReplyDelete
  9. So very pretty! You are so right about the top being stitched correctly make the quilt more attractive!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good hand quilting always gives a quilt that special charm! Such a pretty quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh what a beautiful quilt! I love the pattern and the colors! This is such a pretty quilt. Great job making this piece of art!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your quilt is beautiful and so cheerful with all the bright colors.

    ReplyDelete
  13. How beautiful! Hope it turns out as you hope!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh, my! What an awesome quilt. The colors are so beautiful and I love the pattern. I wish I could quilt, but I'll just enjoy your lovely work.

    ReplyDelete