Do you ever start a project and then change your mind about what you want to do with it? This is what happened to these blocks.
I made several of these, with the intentions of making an Irish Chain quilt top, but when I laid them out to preview the results, I didn't like them used that way. They were put away, because, although on a scale of 1 to 10 I am a 10 in the taking apart category, I had no desire to undo these blocks. So later the full colored blocks were paired with appliqued blocks and turned into this baby quilt. I did take apart a few blocks to use as borders around the appliqued blocks.
Now I have taken the other blocks and set them together with appliqued Overall Andy blocks for another baby quilt top.
The animal blocks were hand appliqued, but I decided to try my hand at machine applique. I'm not the best at this; I'd give myself a grade of C or B- at the most. Larger pieces would have been easier to learn on. I compare the bottoms of the pants legs to jeans legs which are too long and mom says, "I don't want to cut them off and hem them up; just wear them off." Now and then there's a stray thread at the turning point.
Whatever, it's a good feeling to know the orphaned blocks now have a good use.