Monday, May 16, 2016

Gardening Girls

All three of my daughters like to have their hands in the dirt.  The oldest one and her husband  put aside their teaching jobs when summer comes, to raise vegetables for the farmers' market and to sell boxes of mixed vegetables to people who order them.  They also have a "you pick it" blueberry patch.  The second daughter leaves her webmaster position at the local university to roam over the pastures and woodlands, each weekend, searching for wildflowers and collecting seeds to plant in her yard, and documenting them on her Flicker page.  Daughter number three takes her weekends and after-school hours and has started a "cut flower" garden and sells them at the farmers' market.  Her activities are shared on her Facebook page, including how she unloaded a 200 pound tiller by herself, quite a fete for a 100 pound woman.  I don't know much about Facebook, but I think it goes by the name of Andrea's Garden.

Maybe their love of gardening comes from the Farmer and me.  We were both raised on a farm, working on the land and helping with the family harvests.  We always had a big vegetable garden when they were small.   They still remember picking up potatoes in the hot June sun, and just when we thought they were all picked up, their daddy would plow through the rows again, exposing a few more potatoes to pick up.

I love planting seeds, waiting anxiously for them to germinate, pop up little green leaves through the ground, and watching them grow to bloom.  Of course all seeds don't do so well and my thumb seems to be brown rather than green.  I have better luck with flowers grown from bulbs.

This Asiatic lily has spread and is probably three feet across the top.  It will need to be divided this fall.

On Mother's Day, Andrea brought this wreath to me.  Isn't this a clever idea: a stryofoam base, covered with empty flower seed packets and a pair of gardening gloves.


We have started the hay season.  The steps up into my tractor seem to be higher this year, and the constant back and forth bouncing over the rough field make the old muscles tired when evening comes.  Fall away, fall away; when you're happy, the years just fall away.

Charlotte

12 comments:

  1. Going over to facebook and look for Andrea's Garden!

    ReplyDelete
  2. As long as you're still able to get onto the tractor and run it, I'd say you're doing pretty good!

    Those girls of yours got some great experience on the farm that will serve them well all their lives. So interesting how many different ways there are to express one's interest in growing things.

    ReplyDelete
  3. An enjoyable post! So true, the years fall away.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The love of gardening is a beautiful and beneficial gift to pass on to your girls and they will pass it on through your family's generations. That's so wonderful!
    Your lilies are lovely. I'm going to have to divide my day-lilies this fall and that is going to be one major job.
    What a clever and fun gift your wreath is. I like presents like that. It's the gift that keeps on giving.
    I can understand the issues of the tractor steps and the aches of bouncing around. I'm totally impressed with your tractor and farming skills and talents. You are an amazing lady. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, it doesn't surprise me as i know where they get it from. I'm going over to Facebook myself and look for her page. I hope the hay season goes well. Blessings, xo

    ReplyDelete
  6. No surprises here...like Mother, like Daughter(s). I am enjoying Andrea's Garden immensely.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It sounds like your daughters come by a love of gardening honestly. :) I love the process of planting seeds and watching their progress too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your girls? How wonderful, Charlotte. Yes, they take after you and hubby.

    The blueberries remind me so much of when we were kids, and always going to pick strawberries. I even took my daughter later on chasing her through the field. She was quite a fast crawler. :)

    I hope the haying goes well, and I can only imagine being knocked around on the tractor. You are amazing!

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy for you
    about your girls
    they were taught well...

    ReplyDelete
  10. You have a great family.
    I will see Andrea's garden on Face-book.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Everyone of my kids love gardening too. It just wouldn't seem right to any of us to let May fall away without weeding, sowing and planting. I sure miss not having a big vegetable garden, but just wouldn't be able to do it now. Haying season? My Mother was out driving the tractor in the hay field until about 6 hours before I was born. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Glad your girls love to get their hands in the dirt. You brought them up well. Guess it's busy now with the hay season. Work never ends on the farm. I grew up on a farm working in the garden, too. There's nothing like picking your own homegrown vegetables straight from your back yard.

    ReplyDelete