Quilting, Farming, Variety

Saturday, March 25, 2017

Baby Quilt ~ Wild Goose Chase

Remember the box of little scraps left over from the Pickle Dish units?  I asked if there were any bets on what I'd do with them.  Some thought I would make doll quilts  or wall hangings from them.  But all the time I had in mind to make a baby quilt.  So the top is finished and here it is:






Small pieces for sure, and very time consuming to piece, but so worth it.  If you're looking for perfection you won't find it here.  Despite all my pressing, marking, and pinning, not all the points matched at the center squares.   I learned a long time ago, while making doll quilts, mistakes are more visible when the pieces are small; even the width of a thread can throw off the perfect seam.

I took a few clippings from the wastebasket and put them near the bird feeder; maybe a bird will take some for her nest.  For instance, can't you imagine this conversation:  Popa Mocking Bird says to Mama bird as they ready a new nest, "See what I found today for you to use in your nest.  Mama Charlotte laid them out just for us, with only one request, that we sing by the light of the moon when summer comes."





There are many scraps left in the box, but I'm tired of working with small pieces and have a hankering to use a larger piece of fabric for a change.  So, I'll put the lid on the box of scraps and perhaps, just maybe, either get brave enough to throw them away or make a doll quilt.

May your weekend by a pleasant one.
Charlotte


8 comments:

  1. Amazing!!! Points don't match? Where? I could look on and on at your beautiful work. Mama Mockingbird has her work cut out for her (Ha) if she is going to make anything nearly so fine as Mama Charlotte. I love the quilt, and I love that you put the scraps out for the birds!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So beautiful. My mama once said if you don't point them out they'll not see them and I can tell you truthfully, I see no mistakes. I love how you put those scraps out for those birds. I'll have to keep this in mind. Hope you have a nice weekend as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can only imagine how difficult using those tiny pieces fit, but you do such wonderful and beautiful work! Mama Charlotte, you're a friend to many, and the birds as well. :)

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't even imagine how you sewed such tiny pieces! Your work is amazing. I love how the little quilt has turned out. Perfect for Spring with the pastel pink! So nice of you to think of the birds and give them something special to decorate their nest with.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your quilt is beautiful, Charlotte! I think it turned out perfectly. You have much more patience than I would have working with such small pieces.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's a wonderful quilt Charlotte. Such tiny pieces. You are a good Mama to think of the birds!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your quilt sure is a beauty Charlotte. I have never worked with pieces so small. One of these days, maybe.... Pieces for the birds, wow never thought of that. Will have to do that. Love the little story. Hugs, LJ

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your blocks are beautiful! Smaller is harder to do but you have greated a loving memory for someone. I can just hear mama mockingbird bragging to the other mama's "papa loves me so, look at the pretties he brough me!

    ReplyDelete