Quilting, Farming, Variety

Monday, July 17, 2017

The Importance of Dye Lot Numbers



On Mother's Day my daughter gave me three skeins of this yarn to have to help me pass the time while my eyes healed.  She hasn't had much experience in buying yarn, but wanted to see how this color would work up.  

If you're an old hand at crocheting, you're familiar with the back of the label on a skein of yarn which reads, "Please purchase sufficient yarn of the same dye lot number to complete your project."  I knew solid colors could vary in color from lot to lot, but who would think a variegated yarn would have a difference.  So I just made this little blanket without bothering to look at the lot numbers.


The colors made a striped pattern to begin with (right side of photo), and then when I changed skeins I began to notice the pattern looked more like a plaid (center section).  The third skein made the same plaid pattern but was darker!  That's when it hit me!  The dye lots must be different, and when I looked at the labels, two skeins had the same number but not the same as the first one.  Who knows why the third part is darker!  Anyway, one should always check the dye lot numbers and hope for the best I guess.  

I won't rip it out, although I have done that before when something didn't please me.  It brings to mind a story my mother-in-law told me about an old woman who crocheted a "mile a minute" edging.  Her family would unravel it and give the thread back to her to crochet again, unknown to her of course.  It gave her something to do and this was back in the day when people couldn't run to Wal Mart for every little thing and they probably didn't have money to spend on more thread and nothing to do with the yards of edging she made.

My blanket doesn't look that bad unless it is spread out; maybe when it's wrapped around a baby no one will notice. :)

I'm still learning,
Charlotte

14 comments:

  1. I think it's pretty just the way it is! And it is sure to keep a baby warm no matter how the pattern came out. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like it, Charlotte! And, so happy to see you. I hope your eyes are healing well! :)

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I have a couple different dye lots in the shrug that I am crocheting too - so far it doesn't look too noticeable thought as it to is variegated - it is all an experiment anyhow as i am not that good of a crocheter and I might end up wearing it like a bed jacket when reading at night before I go to bed!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is so interesting that each dye lot worked up a different way! We found out recently that it's important to look for the same lot of floor tiles too. It wasn't a huge difference, but we noticed.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would keep it as is. It is unique and very interesting. I would guess more people would think it was done for the design than by accident (?). It makes a lovely blanket and as you said when a baby is all wrapped up inside, the baby will feel all soft and snuggly.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really like it...as it! Matchy, matchy is out of fashion anyway. We've got to start thinking out of the box. I would wrap my baby in this ANY DAY!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think your blanket is wonderful. The different designs the dye-lots made gave it character. Know what else your blanket has? It's got love, lots of love. the love your daughter has for you to give you the yarn to help you through your healing and it's got your love and appreciation to your daughter and also your love of crochet to make the blanket.
    :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. I remember running into this whole Dye Lot fiasco when I first started knitting/crocheting. A cute raglan sleeved sweater for my two year old, started peachy and ended up pinkish. I didn't unravel it though, I threw it in the garbage with a few choice words.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow! Your blanket is awesome. The designs are so pretty. I hope your eyes have healed well by now.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Checking in on you, Charlotte! :)
    Have a blessed day.
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh for goodness sakes! I don't know much about yard but am flabergasted to see the differences in your pattern. Wow! It's a conversation piece.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love it Charlotte. It looks like it has a little top border to it. I can understand the people giving the yarn back.....but how tragic to not keep the wonderful things she must have crocheted!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have learned the same thing from making a project and not being able to find the right yarn to finish it. Yours is so pretty Charlotte, it looks like it has a border on it!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Actually your blanket looks really pretty. I have made that mistake of not buying enough yarn of the same lot. LOL
    I hope that your eyes are healing nicely.

    ReplyDelete