Quilting, Farming, Variety

Tuesday, August 15, 2017

Me-e-ow-ow ~~~ "What's She Done Now?"

One of the first blogs I followed was Garden of Daises.  She hasn't written in a while, but there is where I saw these sweet vintage dishtowels which were a part of her collection:
http://patchofzinnias.blogspot.com/p/vintage-linens.html 

Then a few weeks ago I saw the beautiful work of Kathleen, http://yesteryearembroideries.blogspot.com/2017/05/i-call-themembroidered-appliqued.html and just knew I wanted to do work like this.

That's when I remembered a pattern I had that would be suitable for applique and embroidery on the same designs.


The towels were purchased at Wal Mart (Amazon has them also, but the price is a bit more.)  They're made from cotton and I think they will be very durable.  These are my finished towels:




I used gingham checks for the dresses and bonnets; gingham checks say "country" to me and they were used for little girls' dresses in days gone by.  I haven't seen checks in stores in years; do they not make them anymore?  If not, what a shame!

This was a fun, but time-consuming project.  
Charlotte





16 comments:

  1. Your towels turned out so cute! I love gingham too- and seersucker. Wish patch of zinnias was still blogging!

    ReplyDelete
  2. yes they still sell gingham type of cottons but you do have to look for them - cute towels

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember "Garden of Daises" and use to follow along as well. Your towels turned out terrific. Love the gingham checks for the dresses. It does look like a lot of work; but now you have a wonderful set of kitchen towels!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I always liked brown gingham checks best of all, so I'm partial to Tuesday's towel, but Wednesday is my pick...well, really I love them all! (How about all that rain?!!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. They turned out lovely!!! That's a very cute vintage AM's pattern... may have to go hunt it down, lol. Appliquè & hand embroidery are beautiful combination, you did a beautiful job stitching these!!!
    Gingham is still in ;-), I've seen it at Joann & on quilt shops. Also seen some blouses in gingham recently... perhaps is coming back in fashion.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Charlotte, those are wonderful! You do such great work. :)

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOVE, LOVE, LOVE. I do some dishtowel embroidery too, but I have never added the applique. These gingham prints absolutely make the towels gorgeous. I'm going to try this on my next towel... my goal is to make myself a set of weekday towels too. Yours are lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love these, Charlotte! They look wonderful. I have always loved gingham. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. These are adorable. You make such wonderful projects. You did a gorgeous job combining the fabric with embroidery.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love them
    Maybe something I could do :)
    Love your header...

    ReplyDelete
  11. So Beautiful. I wish I had the patience and talent to do that. I have lots of embroidered items that I've got at yard sales and thrift stores and a few family items. I just love them.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful work. I hope you were able to see the solar eclipse in your part of the country. We had a total eclipse in western NC and it was awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Charlotte, these are just darling! I love all of the colors you used! Just lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love these sweet towels!! You are so talented, and you inspire me...maybe, just maybe, I'll do some embroidery someday soon!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank you for your sweet words, Charlotte, but your work to me is lovelier!

    ReplyDelete