Friday, July 25, 2014

Is This Surprise Coming Early?

Earlier in the week I noticed the surprise lilies were pushing up through the ground,

and by yesterday, they were blooming!

A beautiful mass of pink!  I think I'm learning that flowers planted in mass give better results.  My planting has usually been trying to put a little of this and that in several places.

If it weren't for the fact that these are close to my compost bin I probably wouldn't have noticed them at all until being totally surprised by their blooms.  In the spring they were a mass of green foliage.  I let it die back and turn brown, then I mowed over them, hoping to keep the four o'clocks and irises pushed back so there would be a clear spot for them to come up.  It seems too early for them to bloom; perhaps the fact that our weather has been cooler than normal (so far) this summer fooled them into thinking it's later in the year than it is?  Anyway, the other flower beds are looking tired and spent after a flush of spring irises and summer day lilies and tiger lilies, so these are a very welcome surprise.

Our chickens went out on Tuesday of this week so yesterday I put a quilt top on the frames to work on during my "out" time of two weeks.  The farmer has started the work of getting the litter ready to be put into wind rows so it can go through a "heat" that will kill any disease organisms.  Then while it sits for a day or two, weather permitting, we'll go finish the second cutting of hay, and before we know it, the two weeks will be gone and new baby chicks will be cheeping in the houses again.

Do you have surprise lilies?  Look around for them; they may be early too!
Charlotte


17 comments:

  1. Your flowers are so pretty. And wow, they popped up fast and now you really have a beautiful display. I am so happy for you to have found them. Enjoy your two weeks; I am sure you are still quite the busy lady all the time anyway. Happy Quilting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just noticed mine this week and they were already blooming! I never even noticed them coming up

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE those; so very pretty! I don't have any surprise lilies but have been seeing things since spring that I had no idea were in this yard. We moved here last November, so of course everything surprises me! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such beautiful flowers! I love that name too, Surprise Lilies. I hope you enjoy your two week out time! I look forward to seeing the quilt you are working on.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wondering if we might have an early fall. Cooler weather next week may even seem fall-like. These lilies really are putting on a show...love them planted in mass.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have always loved "masses of color" as I used to call my plantings. I do not have Surprise Lilies and have never heard of them--I WANT SOME!! My perennials AND container plants are beginning to look a bit raggedity. I am loving this cool weather--much nicer to work in the hay field or combining wheat in this kind of weather!

    ReplyDelete
  7. We've had an unusually cool summer here in the Ozarks. I'm betting we have an early fall. Your flowers are lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a lovely surprise Charlotte (and my very favorite color). Please forgive me for being so "absent." I've been working away on the book. It really is hard to edit and rewrite! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congratulations on your beautiful surprise lilies. What a joyous burst of color they are, so pretty and pink. I just love flower surprises like that.
    I hope you'll share a photo of your quilt. I love seeing your creations. I admire your patience and talent for hand quilting.
    A couple decades ago, I got a few surprise orange roadside lilies from squirrels. They multiplied like wildfire over the years. When we moved, I took a big batch of them with me. I have them in a flowerbed and haven't allowed them to spread. They would take over the yard if I did. lol

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the lilies ... lucky for you to have such a beautiful surprise.
    Thanks for stopping by Timeless Treasures and leaving a nice comment on my red garden bench.
    Blessings,
    Audrey Z.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Meant to say that I love your beautiful zinnias in your header. Wish I could grow them, but the deer love them too.
      Audrey Z.

      Delete
  11. You busy lady! So much to do and you make good time with your hands! How pretty are those flowers. Really great especially during this heat!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love the pretty flowers and also the zinnias in your header! So beautiful! Don't forget to rest those busy fingers of yours now and then!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hello, I do have some surprise lily bulbs. Mine are red. No blooms yet but I will be watching.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Those are beautiful, Charlotte! So nice to have something pretty and new blooming in the yard.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Charlotte, they are blooming in my area and I do not have any
    but - some bulbs were brought to me last week and I will plant.
    Love the blooms at this time of the year
    when everything in the garden has had its season.
    A few flowers blooming but not many.
    Take care
    busy one and I know your next quilt will be beautiful
    like those in the past...

    ReplyDelete
  16. It's great to look forward to new chicks hatching. I love chicks. What a wonderful surprise for your lovely flowers to boom. I know your next quilt will be awesome. I enjoyed your posting very much.

    ReplyDelete