Tuesday, January 3, 2017

The Year 2016


When the year 2016 began, I thought it would be interesting to keep a calendar record of the days we had chickens.  I marked off each week with a colored marker and this was the result:







  Overall it was a good year for us.  However, with the growing demand for antibiotic-free products, we felt the results toward the end of the year.  It means we lose more birds but the cost of the utilities remains the same and our work increases.  

We had a very good year for hay, baling around 1100 round bales of good quality hay.  There were  at least 100 calves sent to market.  I missed out on working the cattle this fall; the farmer had three men who came and helped so I lost the job of catching them in the head gate, having ear tags ready, and keeping records on which cow or calf got what.  I like working the cattle; as I have mentioned before, it sends a flow of adrenalin through a person to get right in the middle of them and sort them into different pens.


2016 saw us reach the age of 75, still able to do the work with only an occasional Aleve, and a blood pressure pill for the farmer.  Our oldest granddaughter got married in December and the youngest grandchild turned 18 in November.  How fast they've grown up!

There was plenty of rain, except for one dry spell, to have a good vegetable garden.  I froze lots of purple hull peas, okra, and greens.  The dry spell came just as the corn was putting on ears so there was no corn this year.  The peas, tomatoes, okra and greens continued to produce into October.


I'll leave the sewing room projects for another visit.  Thanks to all who have stopped by to leave a comment even when I was lazy about blogging.  

Charlotte



14 comments:

  1. I'm so glad to know that you're doing well. You've been on my mind here lately.
    Recently, my husband and I were discussing the millions of chicken we humans eat. I bragged about your chicken farming and showed him your baby chicken pictures & posts. He was impressed. We're both in admiration of your farming skills and talents.
    I'm sorry that you didn't get to do your favorite part of cattle farming. You do deserve a break, I think, you stay so busy busy busy.
    You're wonderful to share your farming and family adventures with us. Thanks so much.
    It sounds like you all had a busy year. I wish you great health and prosperity in 2017. Happy new year. :)





    ReplyDelete
  2. So very happy to have a post from you and hear about your life in 2016. Your 2016 Calendar looks quite busy to me. I love that you share about the farm. I love to see your animals, gardens and your crafts! You have a beautiful header photo for your blog. Wishing you a Great 2017 blessed with health and happiness.

    ReplyDelete
  3. At 75--I think you deserve a break from trying to shove cattle into different areas. They are easier than herding chickens, but still...
    Question--do you hire a chicken sexer or are these chicks all gender identified when you get them?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The chickens come from the Tyson hatchery as straight runs which means they're mixed, male and female. We are contract growers which means we provide housing and labor for "their" chicks. Then at about seven weeks of age, Tyson catches them for processing.
      Thanks for becoming a follower of this blog.

      Delete
    2. Kinda like foster parents. LOL

      Delete
  4. I was so happy to see your post today Charlotte! I was just thinking about you the other day when I went through my blog list. I love to hear about the farm and your life there. I hope you have had some time for quilting along with all the work you do on the farm. Interesting, we buy Tyson chicken products all the time.Maybe some from your farm?

    ReplyDelete
  5. It sounds like you had a busy and productive year in 2016. Wishing you and yours all the best in the new year!

    ReplyDelete
  6. And, I am sure you will be highlighting this first week of the new year on your brand new calendar. The $64,000 question is, "How to heck do you find time to make all of those oh-so-beautiful quilts?" Wishing you much happiness and health and good things in the new year!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What an uplifting post. I'm so glad you all had such a great productive year. I know it's alot of work but so worth it in the end. I can't wait to see your quilts. Happy New year filled with many more blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds like you and the farmer are doing great. So wonderful to have good health. I look forward to sewing projects!

    ReplyDelete
  9. so good to see your entry
    have missed you
    and beginning to worry about you.
    I wear my special apron all the time
    love the pockets.
    Every blessing the Lord has I wish for you
    this coming year.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wishing you a Happy and Blessed New Year, Charlotte!

    ReplyDelete
  11. sounds like you had a busy time even if you were not blogging. you had a busy garden - mine was just in the small raised beds so didn't produce much.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a year for you to us city folk, non farmers or hobby farmers (we raise a butcher calf and have a garden). But for you, it's a normal year. I wish I could have grown up on a farm, but I got to be an army brat instead and travel the world. Now I stay put and enjoy my plot of land and grandchildren. I just enterend my 'retirement' decade and see good things ahead. I do hope I'm as productive and busy as you are when I get to 75. Best of luck for this year...

    ReplyDelete