Tuesday, January 26, 2010

The End of an Era

Ok, maybe that's a little overly dramatic! For several years -- I can't even remember how many -- we've had fresh eggs. A couple of days ago, I used the last of them. We have only two hens now, and they are getting old, I guess. They've been laying only one egg between them for several weeks (and as you know from the earlier post, we've had trouble getting that one before a skunk does). Gradually the supply in the refrigerator kept getting lower and lower, and finally I used the last one on an upside-down blueberry pancake recipe (which turned out to be a disaster, but that's another story).

Our daughter says she wants to take part in the 4-H poultry chain project this summer, so we'll get some new hens in the fall. But for now, I'll have to do without those nice brown eggs. I'll miss them.

No comments:

Post a Comment