Monday, June 18, 2012

Am I Too Old to Learn?

In our family, when we learn something new, we say we have a new wrinkle on our brain {whatever that means}.  I still like to learn new things although I am "old".  When we first connected to the Internet, I determined to learn a new word every day, using Wiktionary {just for fun, today's word(s) was salad dodger meaning an overweight person}.

We watch the TV show, Are You Smarter Than a Fifth Grader, on Sunday nights, and I've found that the questions I can't answer are learning experiences for me; I'll remember them most of the time.

This is all leading to the question, am I too old to learn to knit?  When I was about ten years old, my grandmother gave me two short pieces of baling wire (I'm assuming they were her knitting needles) and someone taught me two stitches and how to cast the thread onto the "needles"; I made several little purple squares, about the size of a small potholder.  I've looked online and found a simple pattern for a baby blanket to be knit on circular needles.  My daughter brought some needles to me and when I get a chance to buy yarn I'm going to give it a try.  If my brain can't hold another wrinkle, I know that knit things are as easy to unravel as crochet work.  


Charlotte

13 comments:

  1. I like your new look to your blog - nice to change it up once in awhile.
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think you're ever too old, Charlotte!
    However, I did think that myself the first time I tried to shear sheep at age 40... *UGHH* I hurt for days. But I think you can do it! Never know till you try! :)
    (And once you learn, you can teach me! *grin*)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck learning to knit. You are never too old to learn. I can see you learning how to knit and making all kinds of beautiful things.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You absolutely can learn to knit Charlotte. I love knitting. It is so peaceful and quieting. You are so creative, and I am sure you will figure it out very quickly.
    I'm cheering you one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I will only say...
    that 5 years ago I bought a computer and a more up to date camera. Was not easy to learn to use either one. Still only use a fraction of what they could be used for. Also in the last 6 years have built 2 homes and one of those is this cottage I live in.
    Hopefully never to move again.
    All of this started at age 70.
    I really just do not want to push myself anymore. But I think we do continue to learn...If I am making sense with all of this :)
    I would like to learn how to knit also. Wintertime the perfect time for this..

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good luck on your knitting..You are not to old, believe me..I thought I was to old to learn how to use a computer..We didn't get one until a few years ago and what little I've learned my grandchildren have taught me or I picked it up on my own..And that's nothing to brag about...I know the young people today know more because they learned it in school , un like us we didn't have computers and so much technology back then as they do..I have often thought about knitting myself and may give it a try..Good post..

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good luck on your knitting..You are not to old, believe me..I thought I was to old to learn how to use a computer..We didn't get one until a few years ago and what little I've learned my grandchildren have taught me or I picked it up on my own..And that's nothing to brag about...I know the young people today know more because they learned it in school , un like us we didn't have computers and so much technology back then as they do..I have often thought about knitting myself and may give it a try..Good post..

    ReplyDelete
  8. You're never too old to learn! I've been thinking about taking up crocheting. Unfortunately I don't think I'm smart or coordinated enough to learn to knit! LOL What do you plan to make?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Firm believer in 'you're never too old to learn.' Good luck! I hope you knit something real pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  10. One is never too old to learn......anything! Go for it. You will be knitting sweaters and socks before you know it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Definitely you can! I think that learning new things is what keeps us young! Probably once you do it again, what you did so long ago will come right back.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hey Charlotte, How goes the knitting? You're so creative, I figure you'll have it conquered in no time.

    About the wrinkle on the brain:
    When I was in grammar school, we had a teacher that told us that every time we learned something it made a wrinkle in our brain. The teacher further explained to us that if we only memorized something instead of actually learning it that it left our brain slick and shiny. lol :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I say go for it : ) Sounds like it came easy for you as a child. Love the part about her handmade needles.

    ReplyDelete