Wednesday, July 11, 2012

A Banquet

This morning I had a forced freezer defrosting episode, and you know how it is, once into the job you find there are some things too old to put back inside.  I poured these things into a bucket and this afternoon I took them to the woods for the wild animals.

Edgar Allen Crow was appointed to call out the invitations to a banquet, to be held around dusk this evening.  And, instead of the wolf and the lamb, the calf and the young lion, the cow and the bear, as told in the Bible, these guests will be raccoons, skunks, opossums, and maybe field mice and black snakes.  They'll dine in peace, for their hunger has grown in the drought, and they'll find the goodness of the old fruits and vegetables too savory to fight over.

Charlotte 

Edited 7-13-12:  It seems everyone thinks I threw out lots of food (lol) which wasn't the case at all;  there were a few boxes of things which had lost their color due to age and I knew they'd just keep being overlooked, so rather than put it in the compost bin, I fed the wild animals.  Every piece was gone the next morning, so I don't consider it wasted at all.

18 comments:

  1. I'm sorry, Charlotte... it's sad to see food having to be thrown out like that! But at least you made the critters' day! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. We did that last week too, I feel bad having to throw it away but you're right the animals will surely eat it..

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is so funny! I mean it's sad that you put all the work into freezing the stuff, but you made me laugh when I read "Edgar Allen Crow."

    ReplyDelete
  4. Don't misunderstand about the food being thrown out; it was years old! And as far as the work goes, well, a woman's work is never done anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I did some of that this morning - clearing the pie safe so I can make room for this year's tomatoes. I threw out some canned pintos that had gone very dark, some squash relish that was no longer sealed, and some canned apples from....guess what year....1999! The 20th century! So I guess someone will have a feast here, too. : )

    What forced the defrost?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Greetings folks! Richard from the Amish settlement of Lebanon,pa

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a neat post. I bet the animals all got together and enjoyed the treats.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Years ago I had something like this happen. Now my freezer does not hold much. So sorry but I know the food will be enjoyed...

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great way to use the too-old food! I know the animals loved it! Hope Edgar Allen Crow didn't eat most of it before he called others to the feast :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm sure your wild friends will appreciate the feast, Charlotte.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Defrosting is not one of my favorite things to do. It is good that you were able to use the food in some way......the critters appreciate you!

    ReplyDelete
  12. It's great you've found a way to use foods that you no longer plan to use yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh Charlotte how kind that you fed them instead of just throwing out the old. I imagine they feasted!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm wondering if you have had anymore rain?

    ReplyDelete
  15. Just dropped by to say hello and to see how you are!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Feeding the animals is a good thing...when ever we have left overs like scrambled eggs I also say this is when I wish I had a dog...scrambled eggs do not taste good re-heated to me.
    You are so right a woman's work is never done. I loved your story of Edger Allen Crow :)
    Have a sweet day, Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  17. I think it's great that you fed the food to the critters. Mother Nature can use all the help she can get during these drought times.
    :)

    ReplyDelete