Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Pretty in Spite of Being Stained

Eighteen years ago a pre-stamped dresser scarf came into my possession, never having been stitched, but carrying a dark pink stain.



I didn't know what type of stain it was.  If I tried to wash it first the stamping would be removed; should I go ahead and embroider it and take a chance that the stain was permanent?   This is when I turned to Kathleen (http://yesteryearembroideries.blogspot.com/2012/12/in-my-fr) who does absolutely beautiful embroidery work and had posted a recipe for removing stains from old linens.  She told me to do the stitching and see what happened when trying to remove the stains.

I worked on the scarf for two winters, finishing it a few weeks ago.  I mixed up the baking soda and hydrogen peroxide and treated it.  The pink stains didn't come out, but the brown water marks did.

 
Since the scarf was folded twice, the stains are on both ends and in the center.  I believe it's a chemical stain rather than organic.  This is my idea of how it became stained: probably there was a piece of paper with red ink on a picture,  a glass with ice in it was set on the paper, and the moisture condensed on the glass and ran down onto the ink, soaking into the fabric.  Who knows?  I'm still glad I finished it, and the stains can be covered with a lamp or book or something.  However, it won't be going into the hope chest.  But, it's pretty in spite of being stained, don't you think?
 
Charlotte

15 comments:

  1. Dear Charlotte...I think it is just lovely! Just a thought...did you try hair spray on it? I had a stain once on a doll's dress that looked to be possibly ink related...and my mom suggested hairspray. I saturated it in spray...let it set a bit...then washed it. It came right out! Don't know if this would work for you or not. Anyway, you did such a beautiful job...I bet you're glad to be done after two years! Now you can start something new! (smile)
    Hugs,
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so right, that is pretty even though it's stained.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's so beautiful even with the stains. That is a keepsake for sure and looks to be very old. Wow, when it's covered one would never know. I love old scarfs like that in my home. I have several. Hugs and love, Susie

    ReplyDelete
  4. You did a wonderful job with the stitching. So pretty. Sorry about the stain. I think you are right; you can still use it and just cover the stained part.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You did a lovely job. Sorry about the stain but as you say, you can arrange some pretties strategically.

    ReplyDelete
  6. There was a time the stain would have bothered me no end Charlotte. But these days I see the imperfections as a sort of "grace story." We are all stained in one way or another, but He comes and makes all things beautiful - imperfections and all.
    I'm so glad you finished it. To me it seems very special.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It is very pretty, and your work on it is gorgeous, as always. And when I saw the stain, it didn't look so bad because it matched the color of the little flowers. It's like petals flowing down a little stream!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't think that looks too bad. You might try Rit dye color remover, also. Be careful and don't scrub, you might make a hole, which would be worse. It is very pretty.

    I do that too, sometimes, finish things other people have started. That must say something about us and our personalities but I'm not sure what that is. Hugs, Ilene

    ReplyDelete
  9. You did a lovely job and the stain is part of it's character and charm.

    I love embroidery.

    FlowerLady

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's beautiful! Your stitch work is very pretty. The pink of the stain matches the color of the flowers too.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yes, indeed, I think it's beautiful! That stain just gives us opportunity for our imaginations to run wild.
    Your idea is probably correct!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful, I have a number of scarves like this and use to use them on everything - not much anymore..

    ReplyDelete
  13. Despite the stain, this is a beautiful scarf and I sure would keep it. I love your header photo. The quilt is beautiful. I love the design and colors.

    ReplyDelete
  14. It's still a beautiful piece, especially with your embroidery on it!
    If in the future you change your mind, you could also recreate the embroidery pattern by editing the picture of the design in black & white, then adjusting contrast, saturation, etc. . Then you could trace/transfer your recreated design onto a new runner or piece of fabric and embroider it. Just a thought! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Very pretty! So does peroxide and baking soda take out the brown marks? I'll have to try that. Some of my old baby quilts have those brown stains on them.
    And...you are one of the winners on my blog. Could you email me your email address so your free digital subscription can be sent to you? wvsmarties@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete