Tuesday, December 23, 2014

MERRY CHRISTMAS

and a Happy New Year to my blogging friends!  Thank you so much for the kind words you have left in your comments.  The past three years I have chosen projects to make each month: doll quilts, aprons, and hope chest additions.  This year I don't plan to work on specific projects since it puts a lot of pressure on me to finish each month and sometimes it's almost impossible to meet a dead line. 

The final hope chest addition is a Christmas apron made like a vintage apron I have had for a long time.  The pattern was cut from brown paper, wrinkled and smudged.  I made a few changes to the shape of the skirt; rather than having points this one is straight across the bottom and I left off the holly leaves.


After tracing the drawing for the face with a hot transfer pencil, I ironed it onto white fabric, embroidered the features, then appliqued it with a blanket stitch to the skirt of the apron.  I made my apron from green fabric, thinking the read hat would be more visible.

This is the vintage apron.  Overall, I wasn't too pleased with my green apron.  First, the face seems too large for the skirt.  Second, I wish I had used a pattern for a full apron with no gathered skirt.  But, it does have a little holiday cheer to it; they can't all be winners!  (No pockets in this one either, Ernestine :)

Now I will focus on putting the flying geese units together and put them on the quilting frames for a winter's work ~ after Christmas.

Charlotte









19 comments:

  1. Merry Christmas, Charlotte! I hope it is one filled with love and joy. I've missed you. I just haven't been doing much on-line these past few weeks. You have been such a blessing to me. Sending love.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Charlotte. Wishing you and your family a Merry and Blessed Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really nice. Are you sneaking out into the barn to see if the animals really talk at midnight? :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your apron; in fact both of them.

    Merry Christmas to you and your family.

    May blessings be many for the coming New Year.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I do like your apron. The green fabric is a nice background for the red Santa. He has such a jolly face, it makes you want to hop right in the kitchen and start cooking! Its nice to see an apron, as I thought they were non-existent. I have a 1940's pattern that I made my apron from and love it. Keep sewing and have a Merry Christmas

    ReplyDelete
  6. Merry Christmas, Charlotte! I love both your aprons! I got out my collection of Christmas aprons for display this month. I've worn a few of them while cooking up goodies.

    ReplyDelete
  7. A sweet little apron Charlotte. I look forward to visiting you in the coming year, as I always enjoy them. I got out my mothers blocks and set them out like yours. Even though they don't have a repeating fabric, it still makes a striking look. I'm thinking of putting them together in 4's with a small border around them. Thanks for your post!! I hope you and the farmer have a wonderful Christmas!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your aprons are so pretty and festive, perfect to add a bit more holiday cheer to the season.
    I know what you mean about the monthly project.It was more than a struggle for me these past few months, however, the challenge did help keep my blog sort of active. I thank you for that. :)
    I look forward to another year of your smiles and fun posts.
    Wishing you & yours a Very Safe and Merry Christmas.
    (((happy holiday hugs)))

    ReplyDelete
  9. For someone who won't wear an apron, you have certainly made some nice ones, both serviceable and pretty. I hope you have a very merry Christmas and a wonderful new year!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thinking of you this early morning
    and always your words are special.
    Wishing I had your talent for sewing :)
    Love and blessings to you and and yours
    , from the edge of the woods and one woman.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You've outdone yourself on this one. It's beautiful. Merry Christmas dear friend.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think this is really cute, Charlotte! I like it. I hope you had a wonderful Christmas today.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I don't think the face is too big - it looks nice. The face certainly stands out more on your version than on the vintage one; maybe that's what makes it "seem" bigger.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I think the aprons look wonderful! Cant wait to see your geese quilt come together! Wishing you a happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love the way they look! Looking forward to seeing your geese quilt! Wishing you a happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wishing you & yours all the best in the new year.
    Happy New Year!
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. What an awesome Christmas apron. I sure hope you had a very Merry Christmas and will have a wonderful New Year.
    It's always great to visit your blog and view your wonderful postings.

    ReplyDelete