Friday, January 21, 2011

A Story That Will Touch the Heart of Every Generation

This book always tops my list of favorites. It was a Pulitzer Prize winner in l939 and is a classic work of American literature, written by Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings. It is a story of friendship, courage and love, but I especially like how the author uses such descriptive wording that makes me feel like I'm right there with the boy in the backwoods of Florida.
I also have the VHS tape of the movie, starring Gregory Peck and Jane Wyman. I'm not too sure about the selection of the actors; of course, Gregory Peck could do no wrong! in portraying the character of Penny Baxter, who is described as "having grown to maturity no bigger than a boy." On the other hand, Ms Wyman is much too pretty to be Ora Baxter, whom Penny had married, "a buxom girl, already twice his size ... plainly built for child-bearing." Don't get me wrong; Ms Wyman was a good actress, but if you haven't read the book first, I think you lose out on the intended personality of Ma Baxter.

Hope you get a chance to read the book first, then watch the movie.


No comments:

Post a Comment