Monday, May 9, 2011

From the Garden and A Gift Idea

Ah! There's finally something new from the garden! Whenever spring comes, I feel the way an old cow must feel; she sees the fresh, tender grass across the fence and yearns for it. So it is with me, I'm starved for fresh, tender, green vegetables from the garden. Even though we've had frozen greens during the winter, fresh is just better. Now in the south, old timers used to scour the hillsides for the first leaves of the poke berry bush, which they called "poke salet". We have plenty of that on our farm but I've never eaten it. I think it was boiled, the water poured off, and the procedure done a few more times before it was eaten. That always seemed ridiculous to me; wouldn't all the nutrients be thrown out and only fiber left? In the fall we plant turnip greens; mustard greens are the choice for spring planting. Cooked up tender and served with pinto beans and cornbread -- well, what could be better? and very low in calories and high in vitamins and fiber.

I know it's a little after the fact to be posting about a gift idea. This little thing is a battery powered can opener, 6 1/2" x 2 1/2", a godsend for us with arthritis in our hands. I prefer this to an electric can opener because it can be stored inside a drawer instead of taking up counter space. Trying to open a can with a regular can opener has become very painful and almost impossible for me, so with this I don't have to run to my husband to have him open a can for me. This one came from Wal Mart (doesn't everything?), and made in China (isn't everything?)


Charlotte



7 comments:

  1. You know, it's funny. When I was growing up, we never ate any type of salad (salet). My mom always grew cabbage, green beans (snaps), lima (butter) beans and peas. I didn't eat broccoli or cauliflower til I was grown, and still have never eaten turnip greens or anything like that.
    But I LOVE pinto beans.

    ReplyDelete
  2. my mom has that can opener too. I have an electric can opener here in the house and like it, in the camper I have the kind you have.
    I don't care for cooked greens other than spinach -- in the north we used to eat beet greens also - I have not heard of people in the south eating them.
    Karen
    http://karensquilting.com/blog/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hubby loves cooked greens, so I prepare them for him, but they are not one of my favorite foods. I keep meaning to invest in one of the little can opener gadgets. We still turn and turn by hand.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Charlotte... Thank you for the great can opener idea.. I have to get my husband to open cans sometimes, too.. I like the fact that it fits in the drawer.. Here in Canada we love greens and our fiddlehead greens are now out and we LOVE them.. Turnip and Saphfire ones are my favorite...
    Blessings..

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can remember my Grandma picking dandelion greens. I confess, I wasn't crazy about them, but I know they must be good for me!
    That can opener is a great idea. I think my Mom would love it. Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Karen, I remember when Jeff told me your mom cooked beet greens, I thought, "Why? They are trash!" I cook them for him once in a while, and I guess they are ok...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello.Polk Salad has to be boiled..it is poisionous if you don't boil it.We boil at least 3 times.I never had a cold growing up..and I swear it was from eating Spring greens..lol
    I love all greens..turnip, mustard, kale, and now beet tops.

    Cindy from Rick-Rack and Gingham

    ReplyDelete