Monday, April 23, 2012

Hay Season ~ Already?

Can you believe it's time to cut hay again?  It seems so early.  This is one thing I had to adjust to when Popa and I started putting up our own hay; we cut early and on through summer.  When I was a child, Daddy and my uncle only baled hay one time: late summer.  All acres that could be planted for crops were not used for hay; only the meadows in low-lying areas, where the ground was too wet for spring planting, were cut for hay.  The grass was not as tender as spring grass and there weren't many bales; but oh the work it took to get those bales!  Also, Daddy didn't have very many animals to feed in the winter.

So, on this first day of hay season, things started off with a phone call before our breakfast had a chance to reach its destination.  A cow was out!  Popa went to try to get her back in our pasture, and while he was wading through tall grass, he stepped into a deep hole, (stupid armadillo!!) and fell down, twisting his knee.  At first he thought he had a "I've fallen down and can't get up" moment, but made it up and called me to come help drive her back home.  With all the work of getting equipment ready to go to the field, another unexpected job was at hand: fixing the fence.

With two Aleve tablets under his belt, he's been able to bale this afternoon and a friend came to help him haul the bales home to wrap them.  Whew! I got out of that job!

These are pictures taken through my tractor's windows:


A big wild rose growing on the fence
The field ahead of me; our fields are not long and vast like prairie fields.  We're surrounded by creeks and timbers, with all sorts of curves and bends  to follow, and small in comparison to the prairie hay fields.
Beautiful, tender leaves of an oak tree, blowing in the wind.  It's amazing to me, how many different oaks grow here along the creek.

We take the work that is ours to do, and thank our heavenly Father for health and strength to continue that work.
Charlotte




10 comments:

  1. Great looking hay fields. You're right about the danged armadillos.
    Only good for causing a broken leg or hip.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope and pray he will be all right Charlotte.
    I admire your work ethic. What a wonderful help mate you are! Your view from the tractor is just beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. hope he is not too sore today - sometimes the second day gets you good. I am constantly watching for holes when walking around our small piece of land as the critters make holes all over the place.
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  4. I so enjoy your stories of your life on the farm - and your love for God's creation! Hope the rest of hay season goes more smoothly for y'all, but it seems you've learned to "go with the flow"!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So sorry about your hubby's knee. Hope it's better soon. I know you're thankful for a friend to help out.
    Love that wild rose on the fence!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hope he will be alright. Love hearing about your day to day activities. You stay busy - in a different way then me - since I am alone - thank you for taking the time to comment on what I share.
    Have a good evening...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Loved you pictures from the tractor. I remember my FIL always cutting hay on Memorial Day weekend. We were in the field, when I wanted to be at parades and picnics!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nothing better than the smell of fresh mown hay! We have not seen an armadillo here for quite a while now.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful land, so grateful for all the beauty.
    Hope your hubby's knee does fine.
    Nice to see the rose, they sure can thrive where some might not.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hay cutting time here too : )

    ReplyDelete