Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Puzzles and Books



We attend a small church, usually thirty people make it a large group, and I like it that way; good, old fashioned hymns, and no power point screen hanging down in front of us. The majority of us range in age from mid-forties to mid-eighties, with only one little boy. Really this is sad that young people are not as active in church as in days gone by.


I guess you could say I have taken one woman, widowed and living alone, under my wing. I have known of her all my life but still, never really knew her. She is eighty six years old, still able to drive her car and work some in her yard. One Sunday she mentioned that she was working a jigsaw puzzle; of course that got my attention for that's a favorite thing I like to do when I have the time. We have several pretty puzzles, so I asked her if she would like for me to bring her a different one and she said, "Yes, if you want to." Well, that led to taking a new puzzle every week; she had plenty of time to spend on them. This summer she had a blood clot in her leg and when that was resolved, she felt she was spending too much time sitting down and told me she shouldn't be working on the puzzles for a while. Then later she felt like working them again, until I took one that was really difficult and she brought it back to me. But I wasn't willing to let her sit idle. "Do you like to read?" I asked, and she said, "Yes", so I took her Laura Ingalls Wilder's first book, Little House in the Big Woods; she read it in one week, brought it back, and I handed her the next one, Little House on the Prairie.


We had to miss church last Sunday, but I had another in the series for her. Now I'm wondering, did she have anything to keep her busy this week while the weather is so cold? I guess I'm just putting myself in her place, for it's not that many years until I'm her age and may need someone to bring entertainment to me.

1 comment:

  1. I loved reading this. Elderly people are gems and children and young people are so important to the church.

    I attend a church full of big families...I think ours is actually the biggest right now....LOL maybe I can't remember if another family has 9 or 10?

    Anyway, since becoming a Christian I've always attended this same church so its been my normal. when I hear others speak of there not being many children in their church its hard for me to comprehend.

    We're not a fancy church either. Non denominational, (probably mostly like Baptist of some sort though) kjv bible believing Christians.

    Again, I loved reading this. It was a blessing to me.
    Dana

    ReplyDelete