Friday, July 1, 2011

This Makes Me Happy ....

What does a person do with a mess like this ... a pile of strings and squares of paper?

Well, I take the squares, sew the strips onto the paper, press, and then trim. Presto!! pretty little quilt blocks.

This time I'm adding selvages to the blocks with the strings. I think more fabric companies are making pretty selvages now, for they used to just be plain. I don't have a big stash of selvages, only what I've cut off and some that my daughter saved for me. I don't know that many women who sew anymore to ask for their selvages. I have learned, when cutting the selvages, to leave at least 1/2 inch of the print with them for a seam allowance.

Next I made this little wonky house, with plans to include a few here and there with the string blocks:

It may be a sparse neighborhood; it took a long time to "build" this house.

Making these little blocks makes me happy; when one is finished I want to start another and time goes much too fast to do all I want.


Do you have a hobby that makes you happy?

Smiles, Charlotte









7 comments:

  1. I absolutely love this post!!!!! I sooooo admire your style and talent!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am in awe of your quilting! I used to make rag dolls, but there's something so precise about quilting!
    My hobby now: rubber stamping. I make all of my greeting cards, and it's quite addictive. Of course, blogging takes up a lot of my hobby time now.
    Have a good weekend! Hope you "build" more cute little houses.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I need to make one of these quilts one day, my pile of small scraps is growing and growing.
    Karen
    http://karensquilting.com/blog/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful way to use your "scraps"...! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are an absolute wonder! I so admire your creative talent Charlotte.
    Knitting makes me happy. I try lots of other things, but I always come back to my needles and yarn.
    Happy 4th of July to you!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are very talented! Right now I am into writing. I have crafted, quilted and sewed a lot in the past. I still dabble in each of those activities, but not like I used to.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my gosh what a creative talent you have! Love the pile of scraps and while I am not talented I do keep the scraps for one day when I will try my hand at something crafty.

    ReplyDelete