Friday, June 3, 2011

The Smell of Sunshine

After a long winter, shut up inside with no fresh air, I begin to crave the smell of sunshine on my bedding. With pillows and lightweight quilts flapping in the breeze, those musty winter smells just whip off into nowhere and when they're put back on the bed, what a pleasure to lay my tired self down to rest. People used to drag their mattresses outside to soak up the sunshine; I'd like to do that too.


There is a wonderful poem, about hanging clothes outside, on this blog: www.eggsinmypocket.blogspot.com (May 2. 2011 post) and her other blog, www.yesteryearembroideries.blogspot.com has beautiful needlework and embroidered pieces. Check these out; I think you will be very impressed!


So, do you "sun" your bedding, or hang out your laundry to dry?

Have a good day, and remember me in the hay field again today.

Charlotte

7 comments:

  1. Yes I hang my laundry out to dry, especially the bedding. I remember placing the mattreses out all day in the sun and have been thinking of doing it. Like you said there's nothing like the smell of fresh linens on the bed.. Susie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for stopping by and leaving such sweet comments. I used to hang out our clothes...don't have a clothes line now....I do miss that wonderful clean fresh smell.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is such a heart-warming picture. It speaks to me of home and love and warmth. Quilts are just special like that :-)
    My Mom hung her wash out all the time until a year ago when she fell and broke her leg. She misses that fresh-air smell Charlotte.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful picture!!
    Sadly, we live in a development where we aren't allowed to have clotheslines. :( But many is the day I've hung clothes out to dry - or air. Nothing beats that smell!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Me too! I love to hang out my sheets and other linens-makes it so nice to crawl into bed after a hard day : )

    ReplyDelete
  6. That photo evokes a powerful feeling for me, so young and with my Grandma hanging laundry in the sun.
    I don't anymore, I now live in a place where it's not feasible but I would love to!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love that smell, clean linens fresh from the clothes line...Wish I did more of that these days...I am so spoiled to the clothes dryer!

    ReplyDelete