Monday, June 13, 2011

Some Sewing Today ...

I got a chance to do some sewing today;

These blocks will be alternate blocks to go in the baby quilt with the embroidered nursery rhyme blocks. They are made by the simple, traditional pattern, Churn Dash. I looked at the dash in my churn this afternoon and the block really does look like that. They go together quickly once the pieces are cut out. I used this paper piecing pattern, which I ordered several years ago, to make the half square triangles:

First I enlarged the pattern on the copy machine so my half square triangles would be 3 1/2" including seam allowances. To make the units, a printed piece of fabric is laid right side together with the white piece, then the paper is placed on top of those; sew on the dotted lines, cut on the solid lines. This eliminates the stretchy bias seam of the half square triangle which usually gives me trouble, and there's practically no wasted fabric.


Do you have trouble with bias seams? Have you ever used these papers for making half square triangles?


Hope you have a chance to do something you enjoy,

Charlotte



5 comments:

  1. I use the papers sometimes but not all the time. They do give you more precise hst's.
    Karen
    http://karensquilting.com/blog/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so in awe of your quilting. Those blocks are beautiful! Can't wait to see pictures of the finished project.

    As for what I love doing: recently, that seems to be blogging! I'm also getting a little yard work done now that the 90-degree weather has left us for awhile!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those blocks are gorgeous, Charlotte! I LOVE the colors.
    Being a novice quilter, I have trouble with my seams all the time. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am just going to admire your beautiful blocks. I am such an amateur quilter.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've made lots of 1/2 sq triangles. Not ever on paper though.
    PLEASE show us the quilt when it is finished. I've loved the embroidery squares you've shown.

    Have a great day!
    Dana

    ReplyDelete