Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Wednesday -- Around the Yard

Looking at the yard today, it is hard to remember the pictures taken earlier in the spring when it was covered with water. We've had practically no rain since the 25th of May; I know for some of you that's not very long ago, and I really feel for you in the drought stricken areas. I've had very little luck with planting seeds this year; the ones I had saved have done best: foxglove and oriental poppies. I'm babying them, along with some little columbine plants I had started inside the house, watering them and trying to protect them from squirrels and armadillos. So I'll post a few pictures of what's blooming now and hope for rain to keep things going.


Yellow tiger lilies, started from an ordered bulb; they make little black bulblets on their stems, which, if you're patient enough, will make new plants for you.


A red-hot summer Asiatic lily


Deep red day lilies
The vegetable garden is pitiful; after starting out too wet and now too dry. I'm hoping to be able to water the tomatoes enough to keep them going. We have to be stingy with the well water since we use the wells to provide drinking water for the chickens.


How are your gardens holding up during this hot weather? Will you be able to harvest much from your garden?


"...behold, there ariseth a little cloud out of the sea, like a man's hand...and it came to pass that the heaven was black with clouds and wind, and there was a great rain."


Have a good evening, Charlotte



8 comments:

  1. my garden is doing poorly and I am watering it. Nothing is growing well this season. My zucchini has lots of blossoms but no veggies, so far same is true with the cucumbers. At least I have some tomatoes but I doubt it will be many from the looks of it.
    Karen
    http://karensquilting.com/blog/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isn't that verse from Kings? When Elijah had prayed for it not to rain and it didn't then he prayed for it to rain and his servant told him there was a cloud in the sky as big as his hand? LOL! Elijah had such great faith. One of my all time favorite stories in the bible is when the raven was feeding him and the angel comes and tells him to arise and eat because the journey is to great for him.

    Hows that for a ramble?
    Your lilies are lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sorry to hear of your dry conditions. Last summer was like that for us.
    We've had a little rain here and there recently. I don't grow veggies, but the flowers are holding okay.
    Hoping for rain for you soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am enjoying the visit to your yard each Wednesday; love the deep red lilies.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your lilies, mine are so thirsty...eventho I water as much as I can this drought is taking it's toll on them..Still thankful for what I have, sure don't want the type of weather that hit Ok and Missouri ! Have a wonderful day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. We are praying for rain too Charlotte. We have had only a few inches all year and everything is just burning up. We have a well, just as you do, so we are trying to be very conservative.
    Your flowers are just lovely. I love the colors.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your flowers are lovely. I have the orange tiger lilies. Your yellow ones are very pretty. We are very dry here and need rain, we got a tiny bit late this evening. I haven't seen the red day lilies before, everyone around here have the yellow ones. I love red and yellow.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is a little late, I guess, but I wanted to tell you that North Carolina really likes day lilies. At nearly every exit on the interstate there will be a huge patch of yellow day lilies along the hillside. It's really very pretty.

    ReplyDelete